[texhax] which TeX?

Lars Madsen daleif at imf.au.dk
Wed Sep 21 13:54:51 CEST 2011

Michael Barr wrote, On 2011-09-21 13:43:
> This is probably not the right forum to ask this question in, but maybe
> someone can point me to a better place.
>
> I just got the TeX Live 2011 DVD in the mail.  For at least a decade now
> I have used one form or another of MikTeX for Windows.  But I noticed
> something called ProTeXt (based on MikTeX) and various other things
> (ConTeXt) on the cover of the disk.  I have no idea what all the
> variations are and which one is best for me.  Where can I find these
> things out?
>
> Michael

ProTeXt is just miktex plus tools in a simpler (for some) wrapping

ConTeXt is not relevant in this discussion, it can be seen as a sort of
format on top of (pdf)(lua)TeX, in the same manner as the LaTeX format
ontop of pdfTeX.

For windows there are only two LaTeX distributions: TeX Live or miktex
(in its various wrappings)

--

/daleif