[texhax] Job applications in LaTeX

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Wed Sep 21 00:43:15 CEST 2011

On 2011-09-20 at 16:59:09 -0400, Steve Murgaski wrote:

 > Hi.  I'm very new to LaTeX, having just started working with it a
 > few weeks ago.  So please be patient with some very basic
 > questions.
 >
 > I made a resume/CV using Andrew McNabb's really interesting
 > template at http://www.mcnabbs.org/andrew/linux/latexres/ I've
 > converted a resume I made with that to pdf, and am really happy
 > with it.
 >
 > Now, of course, I need to make a cover letter.  I'd like my cover
 > letter to have a similar font and formatting to the resume I made
 > from McNabb's template.  How can I do this?  How do I change the
 > default font for my document?

\usepackage{tgpagella}

If you look at Andrew McNabb's example PDF file carefully, you'll see
that the "T" and the "D" look very ugly on screen and maybe even on
paper.  You could also add this line to your CV in order to fix them.

 > I have made some sample letters using the built-in "letter"
 > document class, and scrlttr2, but I don't understand how to control
 > the font beyond [10/11/12pt] in the initial setting of the document
 > class.  What else can I do to change the standard font of my
 > letter?

Specify 11pt, or better 12pt, in the preamble and use relative sizes
like \large or \small when needed.

 > Pointers to useful documents/tutorials would be good also.  I've
 > found a lot of quite advanced treatises about fonts, but nothing
 > that just spells out for me how to set a default font for my
 > document and start writing.

  http://tug.org/begin

You can also try to run

  texdoc lshort

on the command line.

 > Thanks.  I really look forward to understanding LaTeX someday, and
 > maybe even varients of it.

There are also many books about LaTeX...

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25