[texhax] quotation marks with babel in LuaLaTeX

Arno Trautmann Arno.Trautmann at gmx.de
Tue Sep 20 20:46:54 CEST 2011

Ulrike Fischer wrote:
> Well I use «» for *all* quotes: german quotes („“), german
> (single) quotes. This means I don't have to worry about language and
> inner/outer quotes. Also I don't have to worry about style: if I
> want german guillemets instead of the normal quotes I can simply
> change it in the preamble, I don't have to run a search and replace.
>
> With csquotes I separe meaning ("quote this word") from the look
> ("do it with french guillemets").

Ok, I get your point. I don't often use qoutes, so this is for me kind
of like specifying “begin this word with an uppercase letter” instead of
just using the upper case letter … but for a lot of quotes, it is
certainly a good thing.

> Also I don't have «» on my keyboard, instead I'm using a shortcut
> (alt+q) in my editor to surround a selected text (or a word) with
> the quotes. It would be rather difficult to setup shortcuts for the
> various quoting variants.

Yes, and that was my initial question – I didn't think of shortcuts,
trying to understand a TeX beginner.

Thanks for the explanation,
Arno