[texhax] have a piece of thest ragged right à the end of a paragraph

Steve Schwartz s.schwartz at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Sep 19 15:37:07 CEST 2011

Phil,

On Mon, 2011-09-19 at 13:21 +0100, Philip TAYLOR (Webmaster, Ret'd)
wrote:
> An embarrassing need for honesty forces me to say that \pushright
> isn't
> /this/ "Phil"'s macro : I suspect it owes rather more to my near-
> namesake Paul Taylor :
>
> > \ProvidesPackage{ccqed}[2000/02/29 v2.05
> >   right-justified end-of-proof mark,
> >   based on Paul Taylor's QED.sty of 24 June 1995]

Yes, quite probably, my apologies (to both Taylors). I borrowed this for
use in my own style files, and have it annotated as:

% added 98-11-8 - based on P. Taylor macro

> Well, 2 ems are no wider than I think (!), but I don't think
> they add anything to the solution.

Agreed, I think, but it depends on whether the objective is simply to
ensure that the last line (or fragment) is right justified, in which
case your interword space makes the most sense, or whether a discernible
gap is required before the argument of \HardRight, in which case it
might make more sense to force it with 1em, 2em, \quad or whatever.

Steve

Professor Steven J Schwartz        Phone: +44-(0)20-7594-7660
Head, Space & Atmospheric Physics  Fax:   +44-(0)20-7594-7772
The Blackett Laboratory            E-mail: s.schwartz at imperial.ac.uk
Imperial College London            Office: Huxley 6M67A
London SW7 2AZ, U.K.               Web: www.sp.ph.ic.ac.uk/~sjs