[texhax] upper/lowercase with autoref?

Arno Trautmann Arno.Trautmann at gmx.de
Fri Oct 21 16:18:43 CEST 2011

Hi all,

I like \autoref from the hyperref package and often use it. For a german
text, it is great, becase all *names (\figurename, \tablename etc.) are
always uppercase. However, in an english text, lowercase stays
lowercase, and fixed uppercase is not always wanted. See this example:

\documentclass[english]{scrartcl}

\usepackage{babel}
\usepackage{hyperref}
\hypersetup{colorlinks=true}

\begin{document}
\section{test}
\label{sec:test}

\begin{figure}[h]
\caption{A figure.}
\label{fig:test}
\end{figure}

I did not find a way to allow uppercase and lowercase versions at the
same time. However, this should not be done automatically, but, e.g.
with a macro \Autoref vs. \autoref, the first one always using
uppercase, the second one always lowercase. A first, very naive try was
to say something like

\def\Autoref{\MakeUppercase\autoref}

but that did not work at all.

So – did I just miss the corresponding section in the documentation? Af
not, is there a (preferably simple) way to achieve what I want?

cheers
Arno