[texhax] \include{Chapter1} does not work

Pierre MacKay pierre.mackay at comcast.net
Sat Oct 15 17:05:07 CEST 2011

On 10/14/2011 3:45 PM, Adolf Giger wrote:
> Hi,
> I have tried everything  in LaTeX (2010) to make \include{Chapter1} and the
> corresponding \includeonly{Chapter1} work as intended. I can see that a
> Chapter1.aux file is generated but not the Chapter1.tex file. In the log
> file it actually sais "No file Chapter1.tex"
Why do you think that \include{foo} ought to /generate/ the file
foo.tex.  I should expect that even using LaTeX, one of the absolute
requirements
for a successful run is the presence of a readable foo.tex file, or a
readable link to it in the current working directory.  Can you see that
there is such a source?  Without it, you will, of necessity, get just
the message you are getting.  A run of TeX cannot be expected to
generate the very file it is supposed to be setting in type

Pierre MacKay