[texhax] Landscape

Torsten Wagner torsten.wagner at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 02:42:08 CET 2011

Hi,
sorry I do not have a direct answer to your question. However, whenever
I am faced with  request like this I try both ways.

1. get a solution which seems logic and easy to implement.
2. if 1 tends to be complex difficult and honestly speaking silly, I try
to ask people in charge "Why?".

There are ISO norms and DIN norms, as well as books about good
typographic practices. Pretty sure you can find an advice or even norm
which states that a page number belongs always at the same place.
Because this is what sounds logical to me, giving the reader the chance
to find a certain page without finding the page number in first place.
If there is no general rule take some of the most important books in
your field and check how they did. Argue with the people in charge why
the university style differs from good practices, demonstrated by well
established print houses.
Normally universities are kind of sensitive if they notice they did not
follow a ISO/DIN norm. Often people in charge have simply no idea why
they ever came up with the request or there typographical knowledge is
limited to what is offered by MS Word.

Using LaTeX now for almost 15 years I learned (by an often painful
lesson) that LaTeX is most likely not able to do certain tasks, because
they make no sens. Bending LaTeX and forcing it often means you are
going to break with typographical practices. Sure there are always
exceptions. My rule of thumb:

If it seems difficult to force LaTeX to perform a certain task, it
becomes more likely that this task breaks typographical conventions.

Hope it helps a bit.

Torsten