[texhax] [pdftex] Change font names in PDF

narke narkewoody at gmail.com
Sat May 21 07:07:52 CEST 2011

On 21 May 2011 04:23, Reinhard Kotucha <reinhard.kotucha at web.de> wrote:
> On 2011-05-20 at 22:54:53 +0800, narke wrote:
>
>  > On 20 May 2011 22:42, William Adams <will.adams at frycomm.com> wrote:
>  > > On May 20, 2011, at 9:04 AM, Arthur Reutenauer wrote:
>  > >
>  > >>  However, as the fonts are embedded in the PDF file, it should
>  > >> really be readable by most PDF readers (why exactly do you
>  > >> insist on having "standard names" -- whatever that means?)
>  > >
>  > > The OP mentioned re-working the files using inkscape and
>  > > pdfconverter --- as has been noted previously, using mathptmx
>  > > gets one the Nimbus clones of Times and one can re-map the fonts
>  > > when opening the files, or one can install the Nimbus Type 1
>  > > fonts into Windows.
>  >
>  > Yes, this is exact the reason why I want to get standard font names
>  > that available on Windows.  Inkscape try to guess the windows fonts
>  > name for the fonts found in my PDF. So, if my fonts is "TimesRoman",
>  > inkscape can use "Times Roman" in Windows.  But if my fonts are
>  > "CMR***" or Nimbus***, Inkscape will have no idea about it.
>
> Did you try to use Latin Modern and install the LM OpenType Fonts as
> system fonts (i.e. copy the texmf-dist/fonts/opentype/public/lm/*.otf
> files to c:\windows\fonts)?  Won't Inkscape find them there?

William, thanks for the hint.  This method works. But, may be the
Lation Roman is not Windows build-in fonts.  It looks blur (the edge
looks gray out, not sharp) not only in the inkscape converted emf, but
also in normal text if I select the font in Word.     On the other
hand, since the PDF fonts name and system fonts name matches, so the
font replacing must succeed in inkscape, the consequence is the
inter-spacing and italic works.   The exactly same thing happened when
I use 'mathptmx' and install the Nimbus fonts to Windows.

I still hope I can get a solution with satisfying quality.  I tends to
think I might need to use the windows system ttf fonts directly.   To
do so, I need xelatex to compile my source.  But by far I can not
experiment with it, since my drawing has to use the 'preview' package
to get well bounding-boxed stand along graph, but the 'preview'
package cannot work with xelatex.

What's the next step ? ... I am still wondering ...

>  > One thing is interesting, I happened to use 'dot' one time to
>  > generate some graph in ps and then dvips to convert it to pdf, for
>  > those PDFs I got, the fonts reported are "TimesRoman"!  I don't
>  > know how 'dot' archived that.  (dot is a tool of graphviz).
>
> I assume that the conversion ps->pdf was done by ghostscript, not dvips.
> Most likely, graphviz is using Times, not Nimbus.  Most such programs
> do not embed the fonts.  They expect that you have a PostScript
> printer with Times-Roman built-in, otherwise you need ghostscript
> anyway, which cares about proper font embedding.
>
> Ghostscript's Fontmap has an alias table which maps Times-Roman to
> NimbusRomNo9L-Regu, but recent versions of gs are linked against the
> fontconfig library.  Hence, I suppose that it looks for Times-Roman on
> the system first, and, if there is no such font on your system, it
> looks into the alias table and uses NimbusRomNo9L-Regu.
>
> If you are interested, look into the .ps file created by dot.  Or send
> it to me, if you find it too messy.

Yes, enclosed file please find the eps file generated from 'dot -Tps' command.

> Regards,
>  Reinhard
>
> --
> Reinhard Kotucha                                      Phone: +49-511-3373112
> Marschnerstr. 25
> D-30167 Hannover                              mailto:reinhard.kotucha at web.de
> Microsoft isn't the answer. Microsoft is the question, and the answer is NO.

    -- Schopenhauer

narke
public key at http://subkeys.pgp.net:11371 (narkewoody at gmail.com)