[texhax] [pdftex] Change font names in PDF

narke narkewoody at gmail.com
Fri May 20 16:54:53 CEST 2011

On 20 May 2011 22:42, William Adams <will.adams at frycomm.com> wrote:
> On May 20, 2011, at 9:04 AM, Arthur Reutenauer wrote:
>
>>  However, as the fonts are embedded in the PDF file, it
>> should really be readable by most PDF readers (why exactly do you insist
>> on having "standard names" -- whatever that means?)
>
> The OP mentioned re-working the files using inkscape and pdfconverter --- as has been noted previously, using mathptmx gets one the Nimbus clones of Times and one can re-map the fonts when opening the files, or one can install the Nimbus Type 1 fonts into Windows.

Yes, this is exact the reason why I want to get standard font names
that available on Windows.  Inkscape try to guess the windows fonts
name for the fonts found in my PDF. So, if my fonts is "TimesRoman",
inkscape can use "Times Roman" in Windows.  But if my fonts are
"CMR***" or Nimbus***, Inkscape will have no idea about it.

One thing is interesting,  I happened to use 'dot' one time to
generate some graph in ps and then dvips to convert it to pdf, for
those PDFs I got, the fonts reported are "TimesRoman"!   I don't know
how 'dot' archived that.   (dot is a tool of graphviz).