[texhax] Need help with excel graph

Heiko Oberdiek heiko.oberdiek at googlemail.com
Fri May 6 19:55:32 CEST 2011

On Thu, May 05, 2011 at 09:30:33AM -0700, Jasmine Norman wrote:

> I have a excel chart to be a part of latex doc. I checked internet and did the following.

> 1. Select chart - Print to eps

How? Can Excel export to EPS?
Or do you print to a PostScript printer driver?
How did you choose EPS, by file extension or by option?

Open the .eps file in a text editor (notepad, write, wordpad, ...)
and check the beginning. Do the file start with
  %!PS-Adobe-3.0 EPSF-3.0
(or with other numbers, the "EPSF" is important".)

> 2. Open GSview - Convert Ps - EPS - Automatically compute bouding box

This does *not* convert a PostScript file to a EPS file, it only
recalculates the bounding box using Ghostscript's bbox device.

> 3. includegraphics {file} [As per the fig insertion procedure]

> In the output the excel chart is too large to fit

See Susans' answer, how to fit the image to the available space.

> and so its not
> displaying the chart. I get only the caption and when I move to the next
> page , the chart is displayed for a fraction of sec.

Probably the graphics is not EPS, but PostScript, not suitable for
embedding, see above.

> I think I need to crop the excel chart.
> I am not sure how to make it small, to fit in the screen.

* Check the calculated BoundingBox of step 2.
* Add option clip for graphicx' \includegraphics,
  this helps sometimes for bad EPS files that print outside
  of its bounding box or if options viewport or trim are used.

Yours sincerely
  Heiko Oberdiek