[texhax] Throughput

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Fri Mar 4 19:03:59 CET 2011

On Mar 4, 2011, at 12:37 PM, Peter Davis wrote:

> 1) I want the image to be defined in an image XForm in the resulting PDF, and simply referenced each time it occurs.

I'm not sure exactly what .pdf structure is being used, but xetex does place an image once, then refer to the original.

(going from 4 to 12 pages, tripling the number of images (one pair per pair of pages) doesn't appreciably increase the file size --- the images are 6.7 and 7.7MBs)

> 2) I'd like the actual image file to be accessed as little as possible during the run of XeLaTeX, for performance reasons.

Putting it in a box and re-using the box works for that --- once xelatex gets to the first page, pages process noticeably faster than they used to.

The full file which used to take ~1.5hrs. just ran in less than a minute.

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer