[texhax] Re: FW: Re: Bibliography question

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 10:18:37 CET 2011

Hi,

Uwe Lueck wrote:
> >/ which I am running.  I added \usepackage{citeref}
> />/ to my main file, but when I ran LaTeX I got this error:
> />/
> />/   latex.exe:  GUI framework cannot be initialized.
> />/
> />/   LaTex failed to create a dvi file.
> />/   For possible explanations start the command from the command prompt.
> />/
> />/ I tried running latex on the file from the command prompt,
> />/ but it didn't give me any useful information.
> /
> Typically, users asking for help cannot conclude anything
> from the program's debugging informations, while helpers
> cannot help you unless you provide these informations.
>
> If this happens with citeref only and not when you use
> your TeX installation for other projects, my idea from
> my last experiences is: MiKTeX for a while supported
> installation "on the fly" of missing packages, and I
> was happy with this. Months or years later, when I tried
> this "on the fly" installation, the run just crashed.
> But on the next run, the missing package was installed
> and worked. There weren't any debugging informations
> from the crash, I just had no idea what was going on,
> just tried another time. -- Well ...

I did see something like this as well. IIRC, this was on one of the
latest Windows (Vista or 7), and MiKTeX had been installed with
administrator's privileges. As a result, a normal user was not allowed
to run the package manager. When LaTeX run by a normal user thus ran
into an uninstalled package, it tried to start the package manager GUI
framework, but failed due to insufficient permissions with the same (or
a very similar) message as reported here. The easiest solution was to
run the package manager with appropriate privileges manually to install
the package (and perhaps turn off on-the-fly installation as well).

HTH
Stefan