[texhax] The fundamental problem ...

Peter Davis pfd at pfdstudio.com
Sun Jun 26 16:22:56 CEST 2011

On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 3:11 AM, Uwe Lueck <uwe.lueck at web.de> wrote:

> "Peter Davis" <pfd at pfdstudio.com> wrote 26.06.2011 05:29:19:
> > On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 8:45 PM,
> > Donald Arseneau <asnd at triumf.ca[mailto:asnd at triumf.ca]> wrote:
> >> Peter Davis <pfd at pfdstudio.com[mailto:pfd at pfdstudio.com]> writes:
> >> The flowfram package comes pretty close to what I need, but it still has
> two
> >> limitations that would be difficult to work around:
> >> 1) if it overflows a frame in the middle of a paragraph, and the
> following
> >> frame has a different width, the end of that paragraph will be set at
> the
> >> width of the first frame, not the second.
> > You'll have to keep travk of line-counts and usr \parshape.
> >
> > Thanks, Donald, but I don't see how \parshape let's me know
> > how much of the text fit on a line (or set of lines).
> > I can work out that the height of a box divided by
> > the baselineskip tells me how many lines will fit, but how can I
> > determine what text has to overflow into the next box?
>
> Trying to solve the cryptical hint:
>
> 1. Assume all lines have same height -- grid typesetting,

Thanks Uwe, Pierre and Donald,

Pierre, I didn't understand your references to tables.

Uwe, I've read over your suggestions a few times.  I think I see roughly how
this would work, but I'll have to learn some more about TeX processing to
understand it better.  In particular, I would need to split paragraphs
across multiple frames, potentially with different widths.  I understand how
\parshape can do typesetting across different line widths, but I don't
understand how to put those lines on different parts of the page.  I'll dig
into into TeX more to see what I can learn.

Thanks!

-pd

--
----