[texhax] Parchment layout

James Quirk jjq at galcit.caltech.edu
Wed Jun 22 14:04:44 CEST 2011

On Wed, 22 Jun 2011, Philip TAYLOR (Webmaster, Ret'd) wrote:

> James Quirk wrote:
>
> > In this instance there's no need to apply a safetymargin.
> > A \pdfpageheight=200in works just fine as it gives the /MediaBox
> > height as 14400, in big points, which Adobe Reader is perfectly
> > happy with.
>
> Well, I doubt whether Charles-Pierre will miss the odd 0.001 in;
> after all, there's not much he could fit in there apart from
> one of your amazing PDF/JavaScript Mandelbrot sets :-)
Phil, I can now embed googlebooks inside of said Mandelbrot set,
and so notionally  every word ever written could be fitted inside
0.001in. The problem, however, is that Adobe have end-of-lined
/RichMedia annotations for Linux/AR and so the approach is sadly no
longer portable. And with the like's of Elsevier pushing rich-featured
journal articles, see http://www.articleofthefuture.com/, it is
not clear how much longer PDF will remain the de facto standard
for archiving science papers. I bring this up here, for there
will likely be a knock-on effect for TeX

James