[texhax] Blank first page problem (how to remove?)

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sun Jun 5 19:48:40 CEST 2011

On 2011-06-05 at 17:06:57 +0100, Johnny wrote:

 > Martin Schröder <martin at oneiros.de> writes:
 >
 > > 2011/6/4 Johnny <yggdrasil at gmx.co.uk>:
 > >> the first blank page always remains. ??? I am totally puzzled!
 > >
 > > POST YOUR LOGFILE
 >
 > I didn't notice your reply, as I haven't properly updated my filter
 > rules for incoming mail since joining this mailing list, apologies for
 > that.
 >
 > The logfile, of course! That led me to investigate and manage a
 > solution.
 >
 > Acutally, running the test script in from editing a new buffer, I was
 > unable to reproduce the problem myself, but going to the original file I
 > "stripped down" to the minimalist format originally posted, the problem
 > reappeared. I believe the cause is that I edited the file in Winows
 > notepad at work at some point and this inserted invisible illegal
 > character in the file! Saving the file in emacs and 'C-x RET f' and set
 > encoding to nil solves the problem. Still not sure about what Windows
 > really did to corrupt the file though?

There are three bogus bytes at the very beginning of the file:

l.1 ï
     »¿\documentclass{article}
You're in trouble here.  Try typing  <return>  to proceed.
If that doesn't work, type  X <return>  to quit.

Missing character: There is no ï in font nullfont!
Missing character: There is no » in font nullfont!
Missing character: There is no ¿ in font nullfont!

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25