[texhax] installed MacTeX, unable to typeset anything

Philip TAYLOR (Webmaster, Ret'd) P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Tue Jul 19 16:52:35 CEST 2011

Jacob Wegelin wrote:

> But also, that page provides a way to check whether the download was
> successful, by "md5 checksum." Following the directions on that page, I
> have typed
>
> openssl md5
>
> at the command line. But now, no application has opened. It just hangs
> and does not give me the prompt back, although the unix "ps" command
> tells me is a job is running:
>
> 51681 ttys003 0:00.01 openssl md5
>
> Why would "openssl md5" not work?

Caveat lector : I know nothing about Apple macintoshii
and nothing about Unix/Lunix/OSX.

But.  If I read the instructions in the page you cite,
it goes on to read :

> and then drag and drop the file MacTeX.mpkg.zip to the Terminal window to complete the command. Push Return.

Have you done this ?  If not, I would imagine that
"OpenSSL" is still waiting for something to process.

Philip Taylor