[texhax] glossaries - glsentryname and math

Vangelis Katsikaros ibob17 at yahoo.gr
Mon Jan 10 18:06:00 CET 2011

On 01/10/2011 05:42 PM, Susan Dittmar wrote:

> Quoting Vangelis Katsikaros (ibob17 at yahoo.gr):
>> I define an entry that has some math in its name, then if use \gls{foo}
>> everything is fine. However, if I use \glsentryname{goo}, then the
>> $math$ part is not rendered as math but as regular text (including the
>> dollar signs).
>
> Did you try using the text field? I do not have access to a working
> glossaries style right now, so I cannot test, sorry.
>
> \newglossaryentry{lala}{
>          name={$X^{y}$-tree},
>          text={$X^{y}$-tree},
>          description={The famous Xy-tree}
> }

Hi again,

As I looked at the issue again, I noticed some warnings from hyperref

Package hyperref Warning: Token not allowed in a PDF string
(PDFDocEncoding):
(hyperref)                removing `math shift' on input line 22.

Package hyperref Warning: Token not allowed in a PDF string
(PDFDocEncoding):
(hyperref)                removing `superscript' on input line 22.

Package hyperref Warning: Token not allowed in a PDF string
(PDFDocEncoding):
(hyperref)                removing `math shift' on input line 22.

I don't see anything strange in the document. Do you think it might
create any problems?

Minimal example:
%==================================================
\documentclass{book}

\usepackage{glossaries}
\usepackage{amsmath,amssymb}
\usepackage{hyperref}

\newglossaryentry{lala}{
         name={$X^{y}$-tree},
         text={$X^{y}$-tree},
         description={The famous Xy-tree}
}

\begin{document}

\tableofcontents

\clearpage

In general, math works fine $N_{x}^{y} \leftarrow \rightarrow X$

\section{Math doesn't work for glsentryname \glsentrytext{lala}}
In text or headings.

gls: \gls{lala}.

glsentryname: \glsentryname{lala}

glsentrytext: \glsentrytext{lala}