[texhax] Help: about \thanks

Uwe Lueck uwe.lueck at web.de
Sun Jan 9 13:15:20 CET 2011

"I.J.L. Garces" <garces at math.admu.edu.ph>, 19.12.2010 19:56:02:
> Instead of \footnote, we use \thanks after the name of an author. The
> use of \thanks produces the symbols "asterisk," "dagger," etc. in the
> footnote. Instead of these symbols, I would like numbers to appear in
> the footnote for \thanks. How will I do it?

Sorry, I erroneously thought something like "use \footnote",
but now I rather guess (from LaTeX's code)
that \footnote behaves *much* differently than \thanks.

So, one proposal: in your `document' environment, replace \maketitle by

    {\makeatletter \let\@fnsymbol\@arabic \maketitle}

(sorry, NOT TESTED).

Second proposal: if the previous works
according to your wishes, you may prefer just to use \maketitle
in the `document' environment as usually and to redefine it
in your document preamble or in a file of your favourite
self-made macros that you usually input for your documents.
Such a redefinition could work like this
(within \makeatletter...\makeatother, or in a .sty or .cls file):

    \let\MakeTitle\maketitle % storing LaTeX's or so
    \renewcommand*{\maketitle}{{\let\@fnsymbol\@arabic \MakeTitle}}

HTH -- Uwe.