[texhax] read argument until EOL

Philip Taylor (Webmaster, Ret'd) P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Fri Jan 7 11:32:52 CET 2011

Taco Hoekwater wrote:

 > The chance of this being implemented as an extension in luatex
 > is very close to absolute zero. In luatex, we are trying to move
 > away from the tricky macro programming language, not add to it.

Oh, what a shame.  For some of us (as I am sure you know),
the "trickiness" of the TeX macro language is one of the
greatest attractions of TeX; if there were no challenge
involved, TeX would still give great results but using
it would be so boring ...

 > For the actual problem itself (I am not on texhax but I am sure
 > this post will reach the list eventually) it is much simpler to
 > write a macro that needs a \par. That will also help clean up
 > the input file:
 >
 > %%%%%%%%%%%%%
 > \parsection My Title
 >
 > normal text.
 > %%%%%%%%
 >
 > with
 >
 > \def\parsection#1\par{....}
 >
 > Depending on newlines as significant whitespace is a bit alien
 > to how the TeX macro processing normally functions, whereas it
 > is quite natural to depend on paragraph breaks.

Agreed, and that is how I would normally tackle such things
for my own use, but the original question was about <eol>-
delimited parameters and it was interesting (to me) to see
how simple the solution was.

** Phil.