[texhax] Problem with setting the path Texlive 2010

Alfredo Duplat alduplat at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 05:35:33 CET 2011

Hi there:

*Context:*
I am trying to setup Texlive 2010 and Kile (2.0.85) in a Debian Squeeze
system.
Debian has repositories for Texlive 2009, but I need the 2010 version,
specifically to organize my bibliography.
I am working on my dissertation and I need to format all my references
according to the MLA style.

*At this moment:*
1. I install texlive via tlmgr <http://www.tug.org/texlive/tlmgr>, as a
root. As normal user it was impossible.
2. I built a dummy package to incorporate the local-texlive into apt. {the
package manager in Debian}.
3. I successfully install Kile from apt. I know that because the system did
not install texlive 2009 to fix dependencies.

The *problem* is related to setting the PATH:
I followed to the best of my knowledge these directions:
http://www.tug.org/texlive/debian.html

But I have problems with this part:

PATH=/usr/local/texlive/2010/bin/i386-linux:$PATH

I ran this command as a root and normal user without success.

I also tried to edit my /home/XXX/.profile like this but nothing happened.

# set PATH to TEXLIVE
PATH=/usr/local/texlive/2010/bin/x86_64-linux$PATH; export PATH
MANPATH=/usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf/doc/man:$MANPATH; export MANPATH
INFOPATH=/usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf/doc/info:$INFOPATH; export INFOPATH

When I try to compile a tex-file with Kile, it appears this message:
[PDFLaTeX} finished with exit code 127. Cannot open log file; did you run
LaTeX?

Finally, thanks in advance for your help.