[texhax] string definition - abbreviations for journals in a bib file

Olga Lyashevska olga at herenstraat.nl
Mon Feb 14 15:34:03 CET 2011

Thanks again!

On 14.02.2011, at 14:13, Herbert Voss wrote:

>>> that should be:
>>>
>>> @STRING{JVS = "J. Veg. Sci."}
>>>

>> For some reason every time  I type " I get two single quotes in
>> Vim, but
>> it is another problem.
>> I do not have an error now, however my final output still looks like:
>>
>> Botta-Dukat, Z., Wilson, J. B., Oct. 2005. Rao’s quadratic entropy
>> as a
>> measure of functional diversity based on multiple traits. JVS 16 (5),
>> 533–540.
>>
>> Apparently, bibtex can see both files, but for some reason it doesn't
>> use the string value for JVS? Why?
>
> Olga,
>
> I suppose you have in the bibtex data entry something like
>
> journal = {JVS},
>
> but it should be
>
> journal = JVS,
>
> if it shpould be replaced by the defined string.

True, I have just replaced it.

Now I use:

Journal = JVS,
and
@STRING{JVS = "J.Veg.Sci."}

But if I compile (many times) I get this:

This is BibTeX, Version 0.99d (TeX Live 2010)
The top-level auxiliary file: ecological_indicators.aux
The style file: elsarticle-harv.bst
Database file #1: ../../work/ReferencesJabRef.bib
Warning--string name "jvs" is undefined
--line 16 of file ../../work/ReferencesJabRef.bib
Database file #2: ../../work/Journals.bib
Warning--empty journal in Botta-Dukat2005

And resulting output without journal:
Botta-Dukat, Z., Wilson, J. B., Oct. 2005. Rao’s quadratic entropy as a
measure of functional diversity based on multiple traits 16 (5), 533–540

I thought that we eliminated all problems but something is still
missing.

Many thanks,
Olga