[texhax] MS Word & Mathtype to TeX

Victor Ivrii vivrii at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 11:10:52 CET 2011

On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 1:39 PM, Martin Schröder <martin at oneiros.de> wrote:
> 2011/12/19 Victor Ivrii <vivrii at gmail.com>:
>> What actually means "normalized"? Having the same appearance as other
>
> The code follows the standards required by the publisher.

I do understand that the publisher is the boss and if the publisher
requires usage of certain style or documentclass the author should
either comply or to search for another journal. Ditto for granting
agency (or office of the graduate studies): applicant needs either
comply or find another sponsor.

However there are other players: editorial board (which most likely
does not care), the reader, and the reviewer and if I need to read
several articles of the same author  (which often is the case) I
definitely want them to look consistently rather than look like other
articles in the same journal.

As reviewer I have very strong temptation to suggest either to provide
pdf compiled with pdf or look for another reviewer. Actually there was
the case when I did this, not because of hyperref but because the
authors decided that the "smaller" article has a better chance to be
accepted, so they used 10pts with really small margins -- like certain
journals in Soviet Union used to do (another trick was to start the
next article 3 cm below the end of the previous one).  After authors
complied the size of the article increased 50%! I was wondering what
the publisher (very respected one) was thinking forwarding this
abomination to the referee.

Victor