[texhax] dotfill leaders on first line of paragraph only ?

Pierre MacKay pierre.mackay at comcast.net
Fri Dec 9 02:01:12 CET 2011

On 12/8/2011 12:13 PM, Philip TAYLOR wrote:

> William Adams wrote:
>> On Dec 7, 2011, at 9:29 PM, Pierre MacKay wrote:
>>
>>> I have had to set up journal covers with various solid-color PANTONE
>>> effects to supply limited scope colored fonts in different colors,
>>> It may be a bit of a nuisance to limit the scope on every limited
>>> color change, but it certainly saves a lot of headaches.  In
>>> addition, if I have any color other than (cmyk 0 0 0 1) for the
>>> principal font over several pages, I renew it by using Tom Rokicki's
>>> bophook and eophook on every page (mostly to set yet another gsave .
>>> . . grestore scope and avoid the risk of falling into a (cmyk 0 0 0
>>> 1) default color hole).  \begingroup . . . \endgroup scoping may
>>> well be needed too, but it is not meaningful to PostScript.
>>>
>>> Printers often insist on a named PANTONE ink that they happen to use
>>> regularly.
>>
>> The above in the context of pdf(la)tex?
>>
>> AFAIK one can't do readily do spot color inks in XeTeX (which is what
>> Philip is using).
>>
>> I'd love to be wrong though.
>
> In fact, my printer (http://www.print-services.org/) wants CMYK,
> not Pantone, but I was unable to get the CMYK version fully
> debugged before the deadline for submission (mid-day today)
> so I have had to send them the RGB version.  But I have proofed
> it on a CMYK printer at home, and it looks fine, just different
> to what I had intended.  Of all of the colours, the dark brown
> for the gloss is the least distinguishable from black, so I
> would lighten that one next time, and also use a lighter shade
> of green for the English name of the dish.  Apart from that,
> it seems fine, and we hope to have the final prints (heavy
> card stock, laminated, gate-fold) to the restaurant before
> 17:30 tomorrow.
>
> ** Phil.
%%DocumentCustomColors:
%%+ (PANTONE 400 U)
%%+ (PANTONE 438 U)
%%+ (PANTONE 225 U)
%%CMYKCustomColor: 0 0.0300 0.0600 0.1600 (PANTONE 400 U)
%%CMYKCustomColor: 0.75 0.679993 1 0.100006 (PANTONE 438 U)
%%CMYKCustomColor: 0.00999451 0.830002 0 0 (PANTONE 225 U)
%%RGBCustomColor:
%%%%%
  .
  .
  .
% Set the spine title
\def\stf{\hskip 0pt plus 1fil}
\font\SPINETitle=memr-nep10 at 11pt % For 105 text pages (and that's
generous)
\let\SPINEissue=\nineArm
\spineadjust=2pt % All uppercase letters
\global\setbox1\hbox to 13pc{\special{ps:gsave [ /Separation
         (PANTONE 225 C)
         [/DeviceCMYK]
         {   dup 0.00999451 mul exch
             dup 0.830002 mul exch
             0.0 exch
             0.0 exch pop
         }
]setcolorspace}
   {\hbox to 3pc{}\SPINETitle R\stf H\stf E\stf T\stf O\stf R\stf I\stf
C\stf A}
\special{ps:grestore}}

PANTONE colors are expressed in PostScript as a pair, the Spot color,
and the Process color.  The CMYK array provides for things like
translation into RGB for the display or  for 4color ink-jet printers and
the spot color is the actual premixed iink.  If you know the name of the
spot color, the easiest way to get the CMYK values is to set a
rectangle, using the swatch library in Adobe Illustrator, and save it in
EPS.  The Custom colors appear among the first lines of the EPS file,
The example above plays a couple of games with the stack, but I don't do
that any more.  If I have 0 values in the process color I just write dup
0.0 mul exch

Pierre