[texhax] dotfill leaders on first line of paragraph only ?

Philip TAYLOR P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Mon Dec 5 13:27:33 CET 2011

Herbert Schulz wrote:

> I had guessed that it had to be some tabular if it wasn't using \hfill. But still, how is a  file (either \hfill or \dotfill) to ``know'' that you want to have the price on the same line and everything else on the next line? I'm intrigued to know if there is some solution that is automatic.

OK, problem solved Herb (and others who might be investigating);
I have a working solution which I will post shortly.

Donald Arseneau wrote:

> If you can ensure that the second line is the shorter
> of two (or not noticibly longer), then varwidth.sty
> would solve the leaders issue.

Thank you, Donald.  Sadly I am (as always) working in
Plain TeX, so LaTeX packages are not an option, but
I thank you for taking the time to look at the problem.

As I wrote to Herb (above), I have now cracked this,
and will post my solution once it is in a fit state
for publication.

** Phil.