[texhax] Using TTF, OTF and T1 fonts

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sun Apr 17 00:15:18 CEST 2011

    pdfTeX links against libpoppler?  Do other TeX engines also?  XeTeX?

In the "original" TeX Live 2010 distribution, nothing links (or has ever
linked) against libpoppler.  Specifically, pdftex is (statically) linked
against libxpdf.

Debian, Debian-derived, and probably other, distros, have chosen for
many years to link pdftex against libpoppler.  I understand why, but the
inevitable inducing of obscure and hard-to-track-down bugs and
differences is unfortunate.

In the upcoming TeX Live 2011, our luatex will be (statically) linked
against a version of libpoppler, but nothing else.  It's possible we
will switch the TL pdftex to poppler in some future year, but that is
too far off to predict now.

Best,
karl