[texhax] Using TTF, OTF and T1 fonts

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Tue Apr 12 15:46:26 CEST 2011

On Apr 12, 2011, at 8:54 AM, Peter Davis wrote:

> However, both XeTeX and LuaTeX are PDF oriented.  Using PSTricks or getting PostScript output requires the use of Ghostscript, which is not practical in some circumstances.

I had thought that pdftex was extended internally to allow for some measure of direct vector drawing capability (using METAPOST?) --- am I mis-remembering this?

Hmm:

http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=MP

``Although PDFLaTeX cannot ordinarily handle PostScript graphics, the output of MetaPost is sufficiently simple and regular that PDFLaTeX can handle it direct, using code borrowed from ConTeXt''

http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=pdftexgraphics

``In addition to the ‘native’ formats, the standard PDFLaTeX graphics package setup causes Hans Hagen’s supp-pdf macros to be loaded: these macros are capable of translating the output of MetaPost to PDF “on the fly”; thus MetaPost output (.mps files) may also be included in PDFLaTeX documents.''

Did XeTeX or luatex inherit this capability (or since they're macro-based do they ``just work''?)?

Seems so given this statement on the xetex mailing list:

On Feb 28, 2011, at 8:42 PM, Vafa Khalighi wrote:

> I have written the mpgraphics package as a part of xepersiantools which allows you to have metapost figures in your final PDF with Persian labels with only one run of xelatex with -shell-escape option (no separate run of metapost)

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer