[texhax] Using TTF, OTF and T1 fonts

Oleg Parashchenko olpa at uucode.com
Tue Apr 12 16:20:20 CEST 2011

Hello Peter,

On Fri, 8 Apr 2011 10:07:44 -0400
Peter Davis <pfd at pfdstudio.com> wrote:

> ... if I
> want to use an older, PostScript-friendly TeX, is there a script (Perl
> or something else?) that can automatically do all the work of making
> system fonts (TTF, OTF and T1) visible to LaTeX?  I'd like to be able
> to take a list of fonts, "install" them vis. TeX, and then run LaTeX
> and use those fonts via PSNFSS.

There is a number of tools, some of them are already recommended.

However, my skills were not enough to master them. Each time I tried to
add a new font to LaTeX, something went wrong, and I could not understand
what. As result, I had to understand how fonts are used in [La]TeX and
describe the expierence:

Minimal setup for a (cyrillic) TrueType font
https://www.tug.org/members/TUGboat/tb31-1/tb97parashchenko.pdf

Abstract: Our goal is to describe font installation in small steps.
First, we typeset plain TeX text in the right encoding. Then, we describe
the minimal setup to get the correct result in PDF using both the chain
tex+dvips+ps2pdf and the direct pdftex, with notes on encodings and
TrueType to Type 1 font conversion. One final step for LaTeX is then
given. The examples are based on a cyrillic font, but useful also for
other scripts as well.

--
Oleg Parashchenko  olpa@ http://uucode.com/
http://uucode.com/blog/  XML, TeX, Python, Mac, Chess