[texhax] XeLaTeX: Extra vertical space in tabbing environment with \kill?

Peter Davis pfd at pfdstudio.com
Sun Apr 10 14:00:23 CEST 2011

On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 6:09 AM, Martin Heller <mr_heller at yahoo.dk> wrote:

> On 2011-04-09 16:56, Peter Davis wrote:
>
>> Actually, it turns out tabbing works ok if I just set \topsep and
>> \partopsep to 0 before the tabbing environment.  Here's the latest
>> sample, with a gray background to show where the right hand text should
>> go:
>>

> Why do you need to wrap the lines in an environment? Can you not just do
> something like:

> \newcommand\phone[2]{%
>  \makebox[0pt][l]{\makebox[47bp][l]{#1}~#2}%

> \begin{textblock}{67.5}(144,76)
>  \obeylines
>  \phone{248.358.4420}{office}
>  \phone{123.456.7891}{direct}
>  \phone{123.456.7892}{cell}
>  \phone{248.358.1969}{fax}
> \end{textblock}

That looks good, and certainly takes care of the alignment issues.  I'm
generating the LaTeX programmatically from XML, so all I get is a list of
tab stops, and then tab characters embedded in the XML.  So I probably would
not be able to define commands for each line, but certainly using \makebox
is an appealing option.

Thanks!
-pd

--