[texhax] (OT) English native speaker needed -- translation problem

Michael Doob mdoob at ccu.umanitoba.ca
Wed Apr 6 15:52:22 CEST 2011

On Wednesday 06 April 2011 8:29 am, Philip Taylor (Webmaster, Ret'd) wrote:

> Susan Dittmar wrote:
>
> > How would one write---as short as possible---"on page 31 and those
> > following"?
>
> Latin "et seq" can be used here : "See page 31 {\it et seq\/}".
> Philip Taylor (British English native speaker)

This depends strongly on the level of formality of your prose. The use
of "ff" outside of bibliographies is pretty rare and, depending on
the literary level of the intended audience, might not be understood.
I would say the same thing about et seq (this may be a Canadian bias;
I don't recall seeing it much in England, but it's been many years since
I was on sabbatical at Royal Holloway, Phil).

Some possibilities in casual English:

My famous theorem is proved on pages 31 and following.
See the proof of my famous theorem starting on page 31.

Cheers,
Michael

Michael Doob                    Telephone: (204) 474-9796
Department of Mathematics       Fax: (204) 474-7606
University of Manitoba          email: Michael_Doob at umanitoba.ca
Winnipeg, MB, Canada R3T 2N2