[texhax] Referencing help

David Lumsden lumsdenda at gmail.com
Sun Sep 12 22:00:19 CEST 2010

Hey. Just recently learned about Latex and I'm aiming to present my thesis
with latex which I will start in two weeks. I'm using Sunil Patel's template
- http://www.sunilpatel.co.uk/thesis-template/ - and I'm confused about how
I will do my references. I am a fond user of refworks and have learned to
export references in Bibtex which gives me text with items such as:

@article{RefWorks:44,
	author={Jacob N. Beverage and Tristan M. Sissung and Amy M. Sion and
Romano Danesi and William D. Figg},
	year={2007},
	month={09},
	title={CYP2D6 polymorphisms and the impact on tamoxifen therapy},
	journal={Journal of pharmaceutical sciences},
	volume={96},
	number={9},
	pages={2224-2231},
	note={Accession Number: 17518364. Language: English. Date Created:
20070802. Date Completed: 20071127. Update Code: 20091202. Publication
Type: Journal Article; Review. Journal ID: 2985195R. Publication
Model: Print. Cited Medium: Print. NLM ISO Abbr: J Pharm Sci Linking
ISSN: 00223549. Subset: IM. Date of Electronic Publication: 20070901;
ID: 17518364},
	abstract={The cytochrome P450 2D6 (CYP2D6) is an enzyme known to
metabolize a variety of xenobiotics and drugs. Inter-individual
variation in the metabolic capacity of this enzyme has been
extensively studied and associations with genotype have been
established. Genetic polymorphisms have been grouped as nonfunctional,
reduced function, functional, and multiplication alleles
phenotypically. Individuals carrying these alleles are presumed to
correspond to poor, intermediate, extensive, and ultrarapid
metabolizers (UM), respectively. Tamoxifen has been shown to be
metabolized by CYP2D6 to the more potent metabolite endoxifen. Poor
metabolizers (PM) of tamoxifen have lower levels of endoxifen and
poorer clinical outcomes as compared to extensive metabolizers (EM).
Here, we will provide an overview of the history and application of
CYP2D6 pharmacogenetics, and will discuss the clinical implications of
recent developments relating to the involvement of CYP2D6 in tamoxifen
treatment. ((c) 2007 Wiley-Liss, Inc. and the American Pharmacists
Association.)},
	keywords={Antineoplastic Agents, Hormonal/*therapeutic use;
Cytochrome P-450 CYP2D6/*genetics; Neoplasms/*drug therapy;
Tamoxifen/*therapeutic use; Animals; Antineoplastic Agents,
Hormonal/adverse effects; Humans; Neoplasms/enzymology;
Neoplasms/genetics; Phenotype; Polymorphism, Genetic;
Tamoxifen/adverse effects},
	isbn={0022-3549},
	url={http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=cmedm&AN=17518364&site=ehost-live}
}

Using Sunil's templates I thought all I would need to do is insert
this information into the bibliography.bib file but the pdf created
still shows the original references in Sunil's template.
There is however a thesis.BBL file which contains the original
references and I'm unsure about where these come into the whole setup
of the template.

Could you please advise me on how to best place references in via
refworks successfully in this template.

Kind regards, David.