[texhax] Local search path

Steve Schwartz s.schwartz at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Oct 25 11:34:38 CEST 2010

Thierry,

On Mon, 2010-10-25 at 10:08 +0100, Thierry wrote:
> Is there a way to tell pdflatex to search for files in these
> directories WITHOUT
> making explicit reference to the complete path in the \input, \include
> and
> \usepackage command?
>
> I known that for picture files it is possible with the command
> \graphicspath
> from the package graphicx
>
> What for .sty files and .tex files, and any other files?
>
> May be I could play with a texmf.cnf file to add some subdirectories:
> "pictures", "styles", "inputs" etc... in the TEXINPUTS variable.

This is the obvious way to do it, but I guess it depends on your
operating system as to how you go about setting your personal TEXINPUTS
variable. You should read the FAQ at
 http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=tempinst

In my linux system, for example, my .cshrc file sets up my shell
environment variables something like:

setenv TEXINPUTS .:/usr/share/latex2html/texinputs:/home/sjs/mylatex//:
setenv BSTINPUTS .:{$TEXINPUTS}:
setenv BIBINPUTS .:{$TEXINPUTS}:

The trailing // will descend recursively into sub-directories of
mylatex, so I put all my things there (you could have subdirectories of
styles, inputs, etc.; or you could add specific directories to
TEXINPUTS. The leading "." ensures tex searches the current working
directory, although that is probably unnecessary. I'm not 100% sure that
the graphicx package uses these paths, but you already know how to
specify the graphicspath.

HTH

Steve

Professor Steven J Schwartz        Phone: +44-(0)20-7594-7660
Head, Space & Atmospheric Physics  Fax:   +44-(0)20-7594-7772
The Blackett Laboratory            E-mail: s.schwartz at imperial.ac.uk
Imperial College London            Office: Huxley 6M67A
London SW7 2AZ, U.K.               Web: www.sp.ph.ic.ac.uk/~sjs