[texhax] document broken under windows

Uwe Lueck uwe.lueck at web.de
Sat Oct 9 13:58:31 CEST 2010

"Heiko Oberdiek" <heiko.oberdiek at googlemail.com>, 09.10.2010 01:43:45:
>On Fri, Oct 08, 2010 at 11:55:34PM +0200, Heiko Oberdiek wrote:
> You have already hyperref loaded, thus I would use \pdfstringdef
> for conversion the description string to a PDF string:
>
> \makeatletter
> \renewcommand*{\ctip at make@Text}[3][0 1 0]{%
>  \pdfstringdef\ctip at Subj{#2}%
>  \pdfstringdef\ctip at Contents{#3}%
>  \pdfannot width 0pt height 0pt depth 0pt {
>    /Subtype /Text
>    /C [#1]
>    /Subj (\ctip at Subj)
>    /Contents (\ctip at Contents)
>    /NM (ctip Text \ctip at tip@number)
>    /AP <<
>      /N \ctip at empty@icon\space 0 R
>      /D \ctip at empty@icon\space 0 R
>      /R \ctip at empty@icon\space 0 R
>    >>
>    /Open false
>  }%
> }
> \makeatother

I tried many hours (several times) to understand what \pdfstringdef is good for
from manual.pdf (without success). What effect has

    \pdfstringdef{macroname}{TeXstring}

for given macroname and TeXstring? I resorted to \pdfstringdefDisableCommands
successfully, but still wonder if using \pdfstringdef could be more efficient.

Now I see that hyperref.pdf is much clearer on \pdfstringdef.
However, I still don't understand if/how I could profit from using it.

\texorpdfstring looked very interesting, too, but I don't know what PDF strings are.
May be the *macros* in the example can be generated with \pdfstringdef!?

Cheers,

    Uwe.