[texhax] Problem with Appendices

Balachander Narasimhan balchand at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 22:19:45 CET 2010

Hi Barbara,

thanks for the reply. I had an error with the command you gave. But I know
what it does and slightly modified it. It put an extra entry in the TOC.
Finally I got rid of the \appendix and used following commands to achieve
the goals

\clearpage

\addcontentsline{toc}{chapter}{APPENDIX}

\begin{center}

{\bf APPENDIX}\\

{\bf SINR DEGRADATION ANALYSIS}

\end{center}

\thispagestyle{plain}

\setcounter{equation}{0}

\renewcommand{\theequation}{A.\arabic{equation}}

regs

bala

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 2:07 PM, Barbara Beeton <bnb at ams.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Nov 2010, Uwe Lueck wrote:
>
>    >From "amsbook" I guess this unanswered request is an AMS issue,
> therefore
>    that Cc.
>
> in fact, ams tech-suypport responded to
> the original inquiry at once (i should
> have sent a cc to texhax), and requested
> some additional information.
>
> as it turned out, at least these three
> packages being used overwrote the normal
> conventions of amsbook:
>  - appendix.sty
>  - titletoc.sty
>  - titlesec.sty
> so it's really not an amsbook problem.
>
> the only "simple" solution i could find
> was a real hack -- add the line
>  \addtocontents{toc}{\def\chaptername{Appendix}}
> immediately after the line
>  \appendix
> in the file.  this did the trick.
>
> let this be a warning that not all document
> classes have been tested with all possible
> add-on packages, and vice versa.  and the
> authors of the different classes and
> packages may not be intimately familiar
> with the workings of the other ones.  we
> do try to be helpful, so that a user will
> end up with what s/he wants, but sometimes
> the circumstances are just too arcane to
> provide an "elegant" or "permanent" solution.
>                                                -- bb
>    [...]
>
>    Cheers,
>
>        Uwe.

‎"This was quite the most incredible event that has ever happened in my
life. It was almost incredible as if you fired a 15-in shell at a tissue
paper and it bounced back and hit you" - Rutherford recalling his discovery
of atomic nucleus in an experiment that involved the reflection of high
energy alpha particles from a thin foil.

>From "Truth and Beauty: Aesthetics and Motivation in Science" by S.
Chandrasekar