[texhax] LyX for Windows screen reader usability

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Wed Nov 10 16:37:04 CET 2010

On Nov 10, 2010, at 10:26 AM, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:

> could you be more precise about what is needed in order to be usable with a screen reader? I guess that the fact that we draw the screen by ourselves is a show stopper.

AIUI, one has to use native window-creation calls and tools so that the underlying system knows that the window exists, under what title, what regions it has and in what order things should be read out, what aspects of it are button controls which need to be interactive, &c..

Windows 7 comes w/ a basic screen reader called ``Narrator'':

http://www.microsoft.com/enable/products/windows7/

So any developer w/ access to Windows 7 should be able to test this.

A search for ``QT windows screen reader'' has a _lot_ of hits, so this is a known problem. Arguably it would be best addressed at the QT-level --- that way all programs using QT would inherit the fix.

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer