[texhax] LyX for Windows screen reader usability

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Wed Nov 10 00:50:28 CET 2010

On 9 November 2010 Paul Stanley wrote:

 > Hi folks
 > I appreciate this may not be strictly on-topic but I think it's
 > useful information to others in my position.
 > LyX-1.6 (for Windows) is, in short, unusable with a screen reader.

Hi Paul,
I suppose that screen readers can gather the text only if font
rendering is done by operating system facilities which provide a hook
for them.

If a program is using its own font rendering library, I suppose that
there is no such hook, i.e. the text is only visible to the program
itself, which then creates bitmaps of the glyphs in order to display
them on screen.

I fear that most free programs are using free libraries like freetype
but screen readers on Windows hook into libraries provided by Microsoft.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25