[texhax] General Advice on Combining Documents for a Thesis

Fehd, Ronald J. (CDC/OSELS/NCPHI) rjf2 at CDC.GOV
Sat May 29 15:00:48 CEST 2010

> Date: Sat, 29 May 2010 01:55:16 +0200
> From: Reinhard Kotucha <reinhard.kotucha at web.de>
> To: ThomasJacobs at gmail.com
> Subject: Re: [texhax] General Advice on Combining Documents for a
> 	Thesis
> On 28 May 2010 Thomas Jacobs wrote:
>
>  > I am a doctoral student in Finance where the practice is to write
>  > three papers (not necessarily related) and combine them into a
> >  thesis.
>  >  I have confirmed that combining them as follows is acceptable to
>  >  the grad college:
>  >
>  > Thesis Title Page, Abstract, Table of Contents, Introduction
>  > Paper 1 Title Page, Abstract, Body, References, Tables, Figures
>  > Paper 2 Title Page, Abstract, Body, References, Tables, Figures
>  > Paper 3 Title Page, Abstract, Body, References, Tables, Figures
>  > Thesis Conclusion
>  >
>  > I have been unable to decipher how to do this in LaTeX,
particularly
>  > as most web available code skeletons or guides assume a single set
>  > of references, etc.
>  >
>  > When I try to combine them in one TeX file I get errors if I have
> >  more
>  > than one document begin and end line and am uncertain how I would
>  > code the three distinct sets of references.

The minitoc packages may provide what you are looking
iirc there is a chapter-toc option

see The LaTeX Companion, 2e
Mittelback and Goossens w/Braams, Carlisle and Rowley

pp 55: shorttoc: summary table of contents
pp 56: minitoc: multiple tables of contents

http://ctan.org/pkg/minitoc

note: this example uses documentclass report, which contains chapters

http://ftp.math.purdue.edu/mirrors/ctan.org/macros/latex/contrib/minitoc
/mtc-ch0.pdf

I remember a previous responder suggested placing the papers in the
appendix
which is available in doc-classes book and report.

hth

Ron Fehd the {SAS} macro maven CDC Atlanta GA