[texhax] Distress call

Dr. Friedrich Katscher dr.katscher.vienna at chello.at
Thu May 6 00:15:57 CEST 2010

Dear friends,

This is distress call, and I implore help from you.

I am an out-dated man (really 87 years old), and have not changed my Latex-MikTex software since the beginning many years ago.  (I fear to lose my valuable stored old texts.)

But it worked very well: I have written thousands of pages of mathematical papers without any difficulty -- a proof of its excellent quality.

But today I cannot transform my LaTex text in dvi.

With toil I have copied the chinese of the black box, which opens when I click on LaTex, and in general says at the end in German "Press any key you like!"

Probably you are able to decipher this code, and tell me what error I made.

And probably it is not difficult to correct what I did wrong.

<This is e-Tex. Version 3.141592-2.1 (Mik Tex 2.4) entering extended mode
<Approximations.tex            ((that is the title of my paper))
La Tex 2e <2003/12/01>
Babel <v3.8a> and hyphenation pattern for english, french, german, ngerman, italian, dumylang, nohyphenation, loaded.
<C: \texmf\tex\latex\base\article.cls
Document Class: article 2004/02/16 v1.4f Standard La Tex document class
<C:\texmf\tex\latex\base\size10.clo>><C:\texmf\tex\latex\base\fontenc.sty
<C:\texmf\tex\latex\base\t1enc.def>><C:\texmf\tex\latex\base\inputenc.sty
<C:\texmf\tex\latex\base\latin1.def>><C:\texmf\tex\latex\base\latexsym.sty>
<Approximations.aux><C:\texmf\tex\latex\base\ulasy.fd>
Overfull \hbox <1.669pt too wide> in paragraph at lines 37--50
[  ][  ]\T/cmr/m/n/10  All we know about Abu Za-kariya <in other manuscripts Abu Bakr> Muham-

I have deleted the lines 37-50 and some more but that did not open dvi.

What is wrong? What can I do that LaTex works as it has always done?

Today my antivirus programm McAffee has changed its software completely. Can this be the cause? But all my other LaTex-articles are unchanged.

Should I change my documentclass or my usepackages?

Hoping that you can help me

I am sending you  my sincerest thanks in advance

and cordial greetings from Vienna

Dr. Friedrich Katscher