[texhax] Selecting which edge should be framed in a box

José Romildo Malaquias j.romildo at gmail.com
Sun May 2 18:41:21 CEST 2010

On Sun, May 02, 2010 at 01:09:47PM -0300, Jim Diamond wrote:
> On Sun, May  2, 2010 at 13:02 (-0300), José Romildo Malaquias wrote:
>
> > I am looking for a way of put frames around a box, but selectively. That
> > is, not all four edges need frames, but only some of them. For instance,
> > I may need frames on all edges but the bottom one. Or I may need frames
> > only on the vertical edges.
>
> > Any hints on how to accomplish this?
>
> > Regards,
>
> Romildo,
>
> how do you want to specify which sides get an edge?
>
> Do you want to call something like
> 	\framit yyny {material to be framed}
> or
> 	\framit 13 {material to be framed}  % 8 + 4 + 0 + 1
> or
> 	\framebottomtrue
> 	\framelefttrue
> 	\framerightfalse
> 	\frametoptrue
> 	\framit {material to be framed}
> or ...
> ?
>
> And do you already have a macro to draw a 4-sided frame?
>
> And are you using plain tex, latex or context?
>
> More details would be useful.

I am using LaTeX.

I need exactly the following commands to put frames around boxes. They
should be similar to \fbox. Each command should have one argument, which
is the contents to be framed.

- a command to put frames in all edges but the last one
- a command to put frames in all edges but the first one
- a command to put frames in the vertical edges (that is, left and
  right)

Romildo