[texhax] Problem with BIBTEX (apa-good.bst file)

Chandrasekaran, Lakshmi lchand at lsuhsc.edu
Thu Mar 25 19:57:48 CET 2010

Hey steve,

Will try this and let you know.

Thank you !
Lakshmi

-----Original Message-----
From: stephenhicks at gmail.com [mailto:stephenhicks at gmail.com] On Behalf Of Stephen Hicks
Sent: Thursday, March 25, 2010 1:32 PM
To: Chandrasekaran, Lakshmi
Cc: support at tug.org
Subject: Re: [texhax] Problem with BIBTEX (apa-good.bst file)

I'm looking at the apa-good.bst source here:

http://github.com/whenders0n/thesis/blob/78c5338cfb25b2a0e3b7b31e4babee394d5b1088/extrrrastuff/APA/apa-good.bst

Note that on line 978 (FUNCTION {inbook}) there are two "if$"
statements (this is a postfix language, like postscript or RPN
calculators).  The editor fields are only output if the author is
empty (I'm not sure what's going on in the other branch since I've
never found a good reference to bst).  In any case, you might try
copying the bst file and replacing it with a new one in your local
directory with a slightly different name, and change lines 980-990
(inclusive) to

  author empty$
    { format.editors "author and editor" output.check
      editor format.key output
    }
    { format.authors output.nonnull
      editor empty$
      'skip$
      { format.editors output.nonnull }
      if$
    }
  if$

I've certainly removed functionality here, since I don't know what's
up with crossref, but this could maybe possibly get the job done for
you...?

Cheers,
steve