[texhax] referred to TUG as a source of expertise on math-related character encoding/rendering

Dan Doernberg dan at fairness.com
Thu Jun 17 00:14:57 CEST 2010

Jim Hafner (IBM Almaden Research) suggested that someone at TUG would likely have the technical expertise to help us with a software problem we're having translating certain math symbols from Microsoft Word into HTML. Most symbols and all foreign character sets we've tried work fine, but certain Greek letters and oversize parentheses (e.g. for multi-line equations) and ellipses have been the culprits so far...

We aren't using TeX, as most of the documents we're doing are natural language texts... but I do however have a semi-famous 1993 interview with Don Knuth to my credit <http://tex.loria.fr/historique/interviews/knuth-clb1993.html>, and I'm hoping that that good karma + Fairness.com being the beneficiary may be enough for someone to take a quick look and maybe recognize some known issue we're running into.

Below is a write-up of the problem... I'm sending some of the relevant files and screenshots in a separate email to avoid spam filter problems.

Thanks in advance!

Dan Doernberg
President, Fairness.com LLC
Email:  dan at fairness.com
Web:    http://nowcomment.com/
Phone/Fax: 434-975-0780
///////////////////////////////////////////////

> =======
>
> Problem in a nutshell:
>
> We're having a technical problem re: character encoding problem that I'm hoping someone there might have a quick idea or suggestion about.
>
> My developer is reasonably knowledgeable about Unicode, and NowComment has until now been able to render every character (including foreign language character sets, both Romance and non-Romance) in any Word document and render them in HTML... but  some Greek letters used as math/engineering symbols, and also an ellipsis and multi-line parentheses,  are not rendering properly in some technical documents.
>
> Before we invest precious time in an area we're not real familiar with we thought we'd try to find some people who have experience rendering math/scientific symbols and see if they can point us in a good direction.
>
> A UVA professor we're collaborating with on the software sent us this article excerpt (and added comments below it):

> UVA prof's comments:

> My developer said re: the above " I didn't know the same font had different incarnations."
>
> **** Is this likely the problem we're having, or might there be something else going on??
>
> -------
>
> In a separate email I'm sending some sample screenshots of the problems that generated the advice above; first are two samples, each of which have "before and after" images showing both our software's rendering and the original text in Word.
>
> Again, thank you very much!!

Dan Doernberg, President
Fairness.com LLC
Email:  dan at fairness.com
Web:    http://www.fairness.com
Phone/Fax: 434-975-0780
"Life isn't fair... but we're working on it."®

NowComment® <http://nowcomment.com/>
Turning Documents into ConversationsSM