[texhax] Question About Adding Packages to Mac Version of LaTeX

Victor Ivrii vivrii at gmail.com
Sun Jun 6 22:23:52 CEST 2010

On Sun, Jun 6, 2010 at 4:10 PM, James Brewer <jamesbrewer at wcta.net> wrote:
> Hi. Thank you very much for letting me know that the pstricks package should be there. Sorry for lack of details. I have a MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard 10.6.3. I use TeXShop 2.34 to write my documents

Irrelevant

> I downloaded the MaxTeX-2009.mpkg.zip file,

So it is there

along with MaxTeXtras.zip, and let it do its thing. For example, I
have software called TeX Live Utility and TeX Live Manager in the TeX
folder. Text-wise, everything works great, and I can even embedded PDF
files as figures, and make tables, and so on. But when it comes to
pstricks commands, nothing. In my files, I write the command
"\usepackage{pstricks}" at the top, along with other related package
commands (such as "\usepackage{pst-node}", "\usepackage{pst-tree}",
and "\usepackage{pst-blur}").

Pstricks does not work with pdflatex, and requires ordinary. In
TeXShop select Menubar Item  "Typeset" and in its lower part Select
"TeX and DVI" NOT PdfTeX

> The reason I was thinking that the package was not installed is because I have copied graphing commands for pstricks from verious User Guides into my LaTeX document, trying to get it to work with just simple stuff, like to have it plot a circle or a line (many different ways, many different commands), making sure that the commands were correctly positioned, typed, and so. But nothing seems to work (thus making me think the package was missing).

If package was missing there would be a complaint.