[texhax] Formatting my resume: Eliminating vertical space before lists

Steve Schwartz s.schwartz at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Jul 28 12:31:54 CEST 2010

On Tue, 2010-07-27 at 16:52 +0100, Joel C. Salomon wrote:
> I'd like to completely eliminate the extra vertical space before &
> after
> the list environment, so that the sentence "Exposure to ..." lines up
> with the word "Skills" just as "A career-track position..." lines up
> with "Objective".  Is this possible with the list environment, or with
> any of its relatives & clones?

To add to the other suggestions, you can also achieve what (I think) you
want with a nested tabularx environment:

 \begin{tabularx}{468bp}{r@{\hspace{8bp}}p{396bp}}
        Objective & A career-track position in Electrical Engineering \\
        Skills &
           {\begin{tabularx}{396bp}[t]{@{}l@{}}
                Exposure to advanced Control Systems techniques
                including Kalman filtering.\\
                Experience with real-time, embedded, and
                device-driver programming techniques.
            \end{tabularx}}
           \\
        References & Available upon request.\\
  \end{tabularx}

Note that the nested tabularx environment needs to be surrounded by {}
or it fails (this is a documented "feature").

It took a bit of experimentation to get the [t] in the right place, and
to eliminate all the column separation space in the inner tabularx, but
once you see it it's obvious.

HTH

Steve
Professor Steven J Schwartz        Phone: +44-(0)20-7594-7660
Head, Space & Atmospheric Physics  Fax:   +44-(0)20-7594-7772
The Blackett Laboratory            E-mail: s.schwartz at imperial.ac.uk
Imperial College London            Office: Huxley 6M67A
London SW7 2AZ, U.K.               Web: www.sp.ph.ic.ac.uk/~sjs