[texhax] Formatting my resume: Eliminating vertical space before lists

Joel C. Salomon joelcsalomon at gmail.com
Tue Jul 27 17:52:13 CEST 2010

Background:  I'm re-doing my résumé in LaTeX, and since I'm not happy
with any of the currently-available classes, I'm making my own.

An edited snippet of the file will suffice to show what I am trying to do:

	\begin{tabularx}{468bp}{r@{\hspace{8bp}} p{396bp}}
	Objective & A career-track position in Electrical Engineering \\
	Skills & \begin{list}{}{
	\item Exposure to advanced Control Systems techniques
		including Kalman filtering.
	\item Experience with real-time, embedded, and
		device-driver programming techniques.
	\end{list} \\
	References & Available upon request.

I'd like to completely eliminate the extra vertical space before & after
the list environment, so that the sentence "Exposure to ..." lines up
with the word "Skills" just as "A career-track position..." lines up
with "Objective".  Is this possible with the list environment, or with
any of its relatives & clones?

--Joel Salomon