[texhax] create float based on longtable?

Pierre MacKay pierre.mackay at comcast.net
Fri Jan 29 01:22:52 CET 2010

On 01/28/2010 09:38 AM, Christoph Haug wrote:
> Thank you, Susan, for your quick response.
>
> 2010/1/28 Susan Dittmar<Susan.Dittmar at gmx.de>:
>
>> Dear Christoph,
>>
>> it is impossible to have *floating* elements longer than a page.

Since Susan Dittmar has at last brought the question up, it may help to
note that way back in the dawn of TeX, DEK pointed out that \halign was
primarily designed for matrix algebra and was, if anything, deprecated
for general use.  If you need a table to go beyond the limits of a page,
or to be guaranteed to fall into a specific position on a page, the
appropriate tool is \settable.  It can take some careful design to
insure that chunks of a table with differing offsets are all provided
for, but if you don't want to do that, you can always terminate one
section of a table, start and finish a variant section, and then copy
the paradigm of the first table to start out again.  Treat every line of
the table as a paragraph and the page breaks will take care of
themselves.  Or \vfil\eject can be called in to play.

After years of sweating blood over \halign, I gave up using it for
purposes it was not really meant for about ten years ago, and I will
quote, at the risk of seeming too self-satisfied, the reaction to one of
my latest efforts:

Brilliant work on these tables!

The tables in question covered five pages.

Pierre MacKay