[texhax] How to use Japanse (or other UTF8) characters in bibtex entries

Torsten Wagner torsten.wagner at fh-aachen.de
Wed Jan 27 04:27:46 CET 2010

Hi,

yesterday I tried for the first time to use Japanese characters in bibliography
entries (like authors name, title, etc.)
reading along the web, teached me that BibTeX is not really nice to non-ASCII
characters (I still do not know whether this might conflict only with the
sorting algorithm or even with being able to print them at all).

Nevertheless, I was told to switch over to biblatex which might be better in
this case. As far as I see it is really nice and it makes a lot of packages
and "dirty" hacks redundant. E.g. I like to create muliple bibliographies
which is very easy with biblatex... before I had to use the extra package
multibib.

Furthermore, I was told to use biber instead of bibtex (which is used by
BibLaTeX by default, to sort the entries). As far as I found out with
biber+BibLateX I should have a UTF8 aware bibliography system.

However, I still have no output for the UTF8 characters. I tried to use the
CJK package and wrap a CJK environment around like this:

\begin{CJK*}{utf8}
  \printbibliography[heading=books,category=books]
\end{CJK*}

but this brakes since \printbibliography is doing a lot of stuff which breaks
at some point the environment. I will try to protect it. However, if someone
here has experience how to print non-ASCII characters inside a
bibliography.... and help is welcome.

If necessary I could provide a minimal example.

Thanks

Torsten