[texhax] Change font size in Lyx

Uwe Lück uwe.lueck at web.de
Mon Jan 11 14:27:25 CET 2010

At 02:01 11.01.10, Michael Johnson Lutovsky wrote:
>I have just been using Miktex and Lyx for a week and I wonder if you could
>give me a helping hand?
>
>I have Lyx 1.6 and Miktex 2.8.
>
>I want to change the normal font size in Lyx to 11.5pt but I just don't
>understand what to do.  I used the instructions from
>http://wiki.lyx.org/FAQ/ChangeFontUsingLatex , but it's not working.
>
>I entered this in the Latex preamble in Lyx (changed pt  to 11.5):
>
>\usepackage{type1cm}
>
>\renewcommand\normalsize{%
>   \@setfontsize\normalsize{13pt}{14.5pt}%
>   \abovedisplayskip 12\p@ \@plus3\p@ \@minus7\p@
>   \abovedisplayshortskip \z@ \@plus3\p@
>   \belowdisplayshortskip 6.5\p@ \@plus3.5\p@ \@minus3\p@
>   \belowdisplayskip \abovedisplayskip
>   \let\@listi\@listI}\normalsize
>
>Nothing happends. Is there anything else I have to do or change?

Actually you seem to have changed the normal font size into 13pt, not 11.5pt.

Anyway, I guess that what did happen is a LaTeX font substitution warning.
Standard LaTeX does not support arbitrary font sizes, rather only a small
fixed set of sizes. Both 13pt and 11.5pt may be replaced by 12pt as the
closest size supported. Arbitrary font sizes are supported by fix-cm.sty
from the LaTeX base bundle.

HTH -- Uwe.