[texhax] Calendar

Frank Shute frank at shute.org.uk
Sun Jan 3 16:12:16 CET 2010

On Fri, Dec 25, 2009 at 03:33:08AM -0500, Predrag Punosevac wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> Even though I am a TeX/LaTeX user of almost 20 years this is my first
> message to this mailing list.
>
> I am curious what is recommended way for creating various Calendars.
> Namely, I have been using for a while a simple template found at
>
> http://www.math.duke.edu/computing/tex/templates.html
>
> for creating monthly calendar with the lessons plan for courses that I
> teach. Couple nights ago I tried to dig dipper into the subject and to
> my big surprise I found only two credible references to for packages
> related to calendars.
>
> One is http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/calendar/
> http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/graphics/pstricks/contrib/pst-calendar/

I've used the first one of those to produce a monthly calendar in the
style of the TUG calendar.

You have one file for the calendar itself and then you have another
file with your important dates/notes. When you build it with LaTeX the
second file is sucked in and the calendar is populated.

To be fair, I haven't played around with it much but it sounds like it
may be of use to you.

> What I am really looking for is a templet in the style of AMS cover
> sheet i.e. a TeX file which will interactively ask me a few questions
> (like a range of the Calendar) and then create a file a calendar.dvi and
> a file calendar.dat which might be then further edited by hand.
>
> Also it seems to me that in term of graphics even by a very simple use
> of colortbl package I could create quite fancy Monthly calendar.
>
> Most Kind Regards,
> Predrag Punosevac
>
> P.S. I should mention that I am using TeXLive 2009 on OpenBSD. I should
> also mention that I use 85% of time LaTeX and the rest of the time plan
> TeX as well as that I have strong preference for PSTricks over other
> graphics tools.

Regards,

--

 Frank