[texhax] How to get \varnothing working?

Donald Arseneau asnd at triumf.ca
Tue Feb 16 21:48:53 CET 2010

"D. R. Evans" <doc.evans at gmail.com> writes:

> It seems like fnts.tex uses up a huge chunk of the available \fam table
> (I'm not sure why, in this day and age, internal table sizes aren't
> essentially unbounded, but I expect there's a good reason), to the point
> where trying to add AMS glyphs fails.

Look at fnts.doc and see which families you can do without.

It is to fit all of character+family+class selectors into a
16-bit math code.  If you change the size of the math charcter
code in TeX then all packages/documents (like AMS) that assign
them fail.

> Is there some way to add this one glyph and still use fnts.tex?

Make a graphics file from the glyph and include that?

> 2)  an alternative to fnts.tex that will occupy less table space and stil
> allow me easily to change the base font size of text within a document?

Are you using sans-serif math characters?  If not then you should be
able to comment-out three families from fnts.tex.  For just more sizes,
I'm pretty sure there are plenty of alternatives.

Donald Arseneau                          asnd at triumf.ca