[texhax] \paragraph environment bolding all text

Philip TAYLOR P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Sun Feb 7 12:46:49 CET 2010

George Goodwin wrote:
 > Hi,
 >
 > I've been using TeX a while now, but I've always had the problem that
 > all text ends up bolded when it's within a \paragraph{} environment - as
 > all my text is! I read that this was the correct way to structure a
 > document (i.e. rather than just using line breaks) - but I would also
 > like my bold emphases to show up. Is there anything I can just stick in
 > the preamble to stop this happening? I've googled high and low and
 > haven't been able to find an answer.

Ah, shurely shome confushion :-)  In fact, \paragraph is a very
rarely used command (it forms the lowest level of the sectioning
hierarchy), and the preferred way to separate the end of
paragraph $n$ from the beginning of paragraph $n+1$ is
indeed a blank line.  If you dislike having blank lines
in your source file, you /could/ use \par or \endgraf as
paragraph separators, but in general one normally uses
blank lines for such a purpose.

Philip Taylor