[texhax] problem with DVI

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Thu Dec 30 23:17:14 CET 2010

On 30 December 2010 Philip Taylor (Webmaster, Ret'd) wrote:

 > This file may refer :
 >
 > 	http://physics.iut.ac.ir/jafari/teaching/comp-phys/example-codes/lanczos/missfont.log

But how was this file created?

missfont.log files are usually created when Metafont fails.  This can
happen if you say, for instance,

\font\x=sfmn1400

and Metafont can't create TFM or PK files from sfmn1400.mf, either
because it's buggy or it doesn't exist.

The cm-super fonts are Type1 replacements for fonts which were only
available as bitmaps at this time, and there are no TFM files for
cm-super.  Thus, you can't use them with TeX at all.

What you have to do in order to use them is to provide a map file
entry for dvips.  For \font\rm=ecrm1000 you need an entry like this:

ecrm1000 SFRM1000 "T1Encoding ReEncodeFont" <cm-super-t1.enc <sfrm1000.pfb

TeX is using ecrm1000.tfm in order to create a DVI file and nothing
else but ecrm1000 is mentioned in the DVI file.  dvips would normally
call Metafont in order to create ecrm1000.pk, but because there is an
entry for ecrm1000 in psfonts.map, dvips uses the PFB file instead of
calling Metafont.

There are no TFM files for cm-super, hence TeX isn't aware of them.
How do fontnames beginning with "sf" go into a DVI file, then?
Why should any program try to create bitmaps for "sf*" fonts?

I fear that I can't provide more information unless I can reproduce
the problem here.

Regards,
  Reinhard

 > ** Phil.
 > --------
 > Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
 > > On 30 December 2010 HAMIDREZA FARHADI wrote:
 > >
 > >   >  The DVI can not load some characters, basically those starting with
 > >   >  sf (such as sfmm1400, ...). Looking at the log, I saw messages such
 > >   >  has "There is no R in font sfmn1400!"  Your help on this is greatly
 > >   >  appreciated.
 > >
 > > What is sfmn1400 and where does it come from?
 > >
 > > The first two letters indicate that you are using cm-super fonts, but
 > > there is neither sfmm1400 or sfmn1400 in TeX Live or on CTAN.
 > >
 > > Please provide a minimal example which demonstrates the problem.
 > >
 > > Regards,
 > >    Reinhard
 > >

 > --
 > http://tinyurl.com/Ipad-signatures-just-say-NO